I know the holidays feel far away, but year after year our Seattle temperatures start to drop and our guest bedroom starts to fill. That’s why now is the best time to prepare your extra room for friends and family visitors.
Since we’re experts at designing bedrooms, I thought I’d make your life a little easier this month with a foolproof checklist to welcome and wow your honored guests.
The Essentials of a Warm and Welcoming Guest Bedroom
- A bed that’s dressed to impress. Include a duvet and duvet cover (for ease of cleaning), a variety of functional and decorative pillows, and extra blankets in case the evening gets cold.
- Closet or wardrobe space. Your guests will feel much more at home if they can unpack their bags and keep their clothes from getting suitcase wrinkles.
- Fresh flowers. A pop of color will brighten the space and make it feel extra personal.
- Soft bath and hand towels. Fold linens neatly and roll washcloths for a touch of hotel-inspired luxury.
- Various toiletries. You never know what your guests might forget, but having a few staples available will save them from having to ask — or run to the store.
- Dimmable bedside lamp. We all need to unwind in the evenings, and having a dimmable bedside lamp can help them create the perfect pre-snooze ambiance.
- Reading material. Artfully arrange some magazines, a few best sellers, or a local guide to Seattle to keep your guests entertained.
- Sweet welcome note. Write a personal welcome note to your guest and leave it on the bed or bedside table to warmly greet them.
Go the Extra Mile for Your Most Special Guests
I’ll never forget when a friend I visited surprised me with a welcome basket of snacks and things local to her area. I felt so special and touched. Not only was it a thoughtful gesture, but it immediately gave us something to talk about.
Although it depends on your guest and the season, here are some nice ideas from the Seattle area:
- Craft ale or cider
- Crowd-pleasing Theo chocolate
- Local coffee (or a day trip) to the Starbucks’ Reserve Roastery
- Tickets to… the Space Needle, Chihuly Garden and Glass or Seattle Center
- Local magazines, like Seattle Met
I hope these tips help you on your way to a joyful and memory-filled time with your guests. Of course, if you need a professional hand styling or redesigning, we’re more than happy to help.
For more holiday design tips and tricks like these, sign up for our monthly newsletter.